Does Medicare Cover Acupuncture?

Find affordable Medicare Supplement plans

Does Medicare cover acupuncture treatments? Yes!

On January 21, 2020, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) gave notice that acupuncture treatments will be covered to help with chronic low back pain. This is great news for anyone who suffers from chronic low back pain and is looking for an alternative medication painkillers.

In this article we’ll discuss:

Does Medicare cover acupuncture?

More specifically, “Does Medicare Part B cover acupuncture?” Your Medicare Part B will cover up to 12 acupuncture visits within 90 days if you have chronic low back pain.

Chronic lower back pain is described as:

  • Low back pain lasting 12 weeks or more
  • Having an unknown cause (For example, not associated with an infectious, metastatic or inflammatory disease)
  • Lower back pain that is not due to or associated with pregnancy or surgery

Can I get more than 12 acupuncture visits?

You can receive an extra 8 sessions if you show improvement from your acupuncture treatment. If your physician determines that your lower back pain is getting worse or is not improving, then Medicare will not cover additional treatments.

You can not receive more than 20 acupuncture treatments for your lower back pain each year.

How will Medicare approve my acupuncture treatment?

Your acupuncture treatments must be provided by a health care provider. This may include a doctor, physician assistant or nurse practitioner who meets the following criteria:

  • Health care provider with a doctorate or masters level degree in Oriental Medicine or acupuncture from an accredited school by the Accreditation Commission on Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
  • A health care provider with an active, unrestricted, full, and current license to practice acupuncture in the state where treatment will be provided

Do Medicare Supplement plans pay for acupuncture?


Your Medicare Supplement will pay for any benefit that Medicare covers. Medicare typically pays for 80% of Medicare approved costs and the remaining 20% is up to the insured to pay. If you have a Medigap plan, then your plan can pay for the remaining 20%. 

When Medicare approves your acupuncture treatment, then your Medicare Supplement company will pay their portion of the bill according to your plan. However, if Medicare denies coverage for any treatment, Medigap plans won’t pay either.

How much does acupuncture cost?

According to CostHelper, acupuncture costs will range somewhere between $75 – $95 for an initial acupuncture session. Routine visits will cost between $50 to $70. Treatment costs varies from practitioner to practitioner, so you will need to contact acupuncturists in your area for specific prices.

Find affordable Medicare Supplement Insurance plans in your area


We know that Medicare can be confusing.  We also know that everyone's situation is different. That's why we're here to help. Schedule your free consultation now!

michael quinn insurance
Joe Moynihan
Joe Moynihan
Facebook review
Read More
Best decision I made going through REMEDIGAP. I must have watched 40-50 videos from several different carriers and they mostly seemed shady. One I spoke to Joann and walked through options, received some quotes she took care of the rest with absolutely no pressure.
Billy Shows
Billy Shows
Facebook review
Read More
I wish I had found REMEDIGAP in the beginning. It would have saved me 3 months of headache. Joann is really awesome in the way she explains everything and she is a very genuine person.
Diane Langille-stone
Diane Langille-stone
Facebook review
Read More
This was the best thing I could have done for my self every thing was explained to me so I could make the best choice for me. And when I need help later they will be there for me.
Tammy Feola
Tammy Feola
Google review
Read More
Joann is top notch when it comes in explaining whatever question you might have in regards to supplemental insurance. She is professional, courteous, a lovely person to talk to. I feel at easy when talking to her. She is a great asset to your company.
Click above to read all our reviews from our wonderful clients!

Compare free Medicare Supplement quotes from top rated insurers

thank you

Medicare Questions? Speak with us TODAY!



Don't Forget Your Medigap Quote!

medigap quote

Compare The Top Medicare Supplement Plans In Your Area

This is a solicitation for insurance, a member of REMEDIGAP will contact you to discuss your Medicare options.

Join our FREE 7-Day Medicare eCourse

Medicare doesn’t have to be so confusing. We’ll send you 7 email lessons with videos that will guide you through the Medicare process. We want you to be informed, confident and comfortable with your Medicare planning.