If you’re new to Medicare, then you may have heard of something called the “Welcome to Medicare Visit.” What exactly is included in your Welcome to Medicare physical (also referred as the Initial Preventive Physical Examination, or IPPE) and how much will it cost?
Welcome To Medicare Visit
Your Welcome to Medicare preventive exam is a one-time appointment that was made to promote a healthy lifestyle and help prevent diseases. Your visit includes counseling, education and a comprehensive review of your health. You’ll learn about the preventive services you need, like certain health screenings, vaccinations, shots, as well as referrals for other types of healthcare.
Who is eligible?
People who are new to Medicare will qualify for a one-time exam within the first 12 months of their Medicare Part B enrollment.
When do I sign up for my “Welcome to Medicare” physical exam?
You may schedule your “Welcome to Medicare” preventive visit after you enroll in Medicare Part B. It’s recommended to schedule this visit right away. You must schedule your visit within the 1st twelve months of your Part B enrollment or Medicare will not cover it.
Once you pass this 12 month window, you are able to get an annual “Wellness” visit that is covered under Medicare. It is very helpful and allows you and your physician to come up with a personalized healthcare plan.
Is the “Welcome to Medicare” exam free?
Are you wondering how much all of this is going to cost? The good news is that you will not have to pay anything for your “Welcome to Medicare” preventive visit. Your exam is free as long as your qualified health care provider or doctor accepts assignment. Your Part B deductible will not apply.
It’s important to point out that you may have a coinsurance payment, and your Part B deductible may apply if the following occurs:
- Your health care provider or physician performs extra testing, services or procedures during the same visit.
- These extra services, tests or procedures aren’t covered by Medicare under the preventive benefits.
What services are Covered?
- Calculate your body mass index (BMI).
- Test your vision with a simple vision evaluation.
- Evaluate your ability to function safely in your community and home.
- Evaluate your weight, height and blood pressure measurements.
- Review of your potential risk for mental health and depression.
- Specific screenings, pneumococcal & flu shots and if needed, referrals for other care.
- A written plan summarizing which shots, screenings and other preventive services you require.
What do I need to do to prepare for the exam?
- Any known information about your family’s health history
- A list of all your medications, including over-the-counter, vitamins, and supplemental medications.
- Your personal history of illness, immunizations, surgeries, hospitalizations, etc. If you’re seeing a new provider, you may want to bring copies of previous medical records to the visit.
Who can provide and administer the “Welcome to Medicare” exam?
Here are the following healthcare providers that are authorized to conduct the physical exam:
- Medical Doctor
- Physician Assistant
- Nurse Practitioner
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
Michael Quinn is an independent licensed insurance agent with a passion for helping others navigate the complex world of Medicare insurance. With over a decade of experience in the field, Michael has established himself as a trusted advisor to countless individuals seeking guidance on their healthcare coverage options.
In 2013, Michael obtained his license as an insurance agent, laying the foundation for his successful career in the industry. Prior to that, he earned his Masters Degree in Communicative Disorders from the University of Central Florida, which equipped him with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Driven by a genuine desire to make a positive impact on people's lives, Michael co-founded REMEDIGAP in 2013. It was created as a dedicated platform that aims to educate individuals about Medicare insurance. Through REMEDIGAP, Michael provides comprehensive resources and unbiased information to empower individuals to make informed decisions about their healthcare coverage.
With his extensive knowledge and expertise, Michael has been able to guide thousands of individuals towards finding the most suitable Medicare insurance plans tailored to their unique needs. His dedication to his clients' well-being, coupled with his passion for simplifying complex insurance concepts, has earned him a reputation as a compassionate and reliable advisor.
His work has appeared on many blogs and websites including, USA Today, Yahoo.com, Nerdwallet, Think Advisor, and REAL SIMPLE.