Does Medicare Cover Stem Cell Injections, Therapies and Treatments?

Find affordable Medicare Supplement plans

In this article we’ll discuss:

The editorial goal for REMEDIGAP is to help you make educated decisions on your healthcare needs. While many of our posts may display links to lead forms, this will not influence the content of our writing. We implement strict editorial standards so that we can provide you accurate information.

Stem cell injections and therapies have been extremely successful at helping people with a variety of chronic illnesses. We’ve recently begun to receive questions regarding: Does Medicare Cover Stem Cell Injections? Medicare will cover stem cell injections and therapies only if they’re medically necessary and are approved by the FDA.

Below, you’ll learn which stem cell treatments, injections and therapies can be covered and which ones won’t. 

does medicare pay for stem cell therapy?

Currently, the only stem cell therapy that is FDA approved in the U.S. are treatments that involve blood-forming stem cells. Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation and Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation are the only stem cell therapies that are currently approved.

When stem cell injections are covered, it will be paid for by Part A or Part B. If your treatment is provided in a hospital inpatient setting, then your treatment will be paid for by your Part A. Treatments will be paid for under Part B if they are provided in an outpatient setting.

  • Part A has a deductible that you’re required to meet as well as some cost sharing.
  • Part B provides 80% coverage and you’re responsible for the remaining 20%.

average stem cell therapy cost

The average cost of stem cell treatments ranges from less than $5,000 for uncomplicated procedures to over $25,000 or more for complex ones. For beneficiaries that have a Medigap plan, your cost sharing may be zero depending on the Medicare Supplement plan that you have purchased.

stem cell therapy cost

does medicare cover stem cell therapy?

As mentioned above, Hematopoietic Stem Cell treatments as well as Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation are covered when they are deemed medically necessary.

Hematopoietic Stem Cell Treatment

Hematopoietic Stem Cells treatments (also known as HSCT) are covered by Medicare when it is deemed medically necessary. Here are examples of health conditions that may qualify as medically necessary:

Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation

Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation can be covered by for the following medical conditions:

does medicare cover stem cell injections?

Stem Cell injections are currently not covered to help treat the following medical conditions:

Will My Medigap Plan Cover Stem Cell Injections?

Medigap coverage is pretty straightforward. If your medical procedure is approved, then your Medigap plan pays its share.

It’s that simple. 


Unfortunately, stem cell therapy for knees is not covered. Stem cell injections for knee pain and osteoarthritis  is not FDA approved at this time. Out of pocket costs for this treatment ranges from approximately $3,000 – $6,000 per knee.

Currently, they will not pay for stem cell therapy in order to treat COPD.

Stem cell injections for back pain is not covered as they are not approved by the FDA.

Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections are not covered at this time. PRP is designed to help stimulate the healing of soft tissue and bone in the knee joint.

Do you have questions about your coverage options? You can contact REMEDIGAP and speak with an independent licensed insurance agent. Use the “BOOK YOUR APPOINTMENT” button on this page below to schedule a time. Or use the “SEE PLANS” button on this page to explore Medigap plan options in your area.

Find affordable Medicare Supplement Insurance plans in your area


We know that Medicare can be confusing.  We also know that everyone's situation is different. That's why we're here to help. Schedule your free consultation now!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Don't Overpay For A Medigap Plan!
Compare rates to find how much you may save!

Don’t forget your FREE Guide to Medicare delivered straight to your email inbox!

Join our FREE 7-Day Medicare eCourse

Get our FREE Guide to 2023 Medicare Coverage delivered straight to your inbox.

REMEDIGAP Email course